Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Signs of life. Tue Mar 10

My internet service provider was swallowed up by a larger company a year or so ago and its quality and service are receding rapidly. I've gone home to work from my laptop and it's a really late start at 1.10 pm.
The oil sector is continuing to strengthen but financials are also showing signs of life while safe havens like wow and ncm are falling away. Brokers are starting to recommend a less defensive posture and I can almost smell a broad market rally. I use elliot wave counts quite a bit, as guidelines rather than prescriptively and it seems to me as if we might need a couple more weak days before a short term bottom but I'm setting myself to start building a little buy/write portfolio.

I'll start my round up with the spi. It's had a rally and I've decided to short it and the break of the low of the penultimate bar. My hypothesis is that although the day is a strong one so far it may have found resistance short of the recent highs. I'm short at 3154.
Bhp - I've just shorted this at 2899. It rallied off the open in a fairly flat sort of fashion and I think it will drift off. Yesterday, seemed like the completion of a rally starting from Mar 4 and I expect another leg down.Fmg - in a tight range, looks a little weak but no momentum.

Ncm - is down 3% today and having trouble managing any sort of meaningful bounce. Will probably continue down.

Rio - much the same verdict as bhp but no short yet.

Wow - consolidating after an early fall.

Wpl - flatlining at up 2%. Could push on a bit later

2.03 Getting squeezed on the spi and bhp.

2.25 I don't know why I'm bothering today. My line dropped out a couple of times, I haven't cut my bhp and spi when I should have. There's some racket with drills and saws out the back, a friend keeps ringing with silly questions and I didn't sleep last night. I was getting so cranky it was almost funny.

2.40 Sold wow at 2519 as the consolidation seemed over.

3.49 Bought back some bhp at 2909 and wow at 2510.

4.12 Had closed out most of bhp and wow but bought the last back at 2928 and 2514 as the spi kept pushing which reminds me, still short this, was supposed to cut a while back. Shouldn't have traded today, I was in too bad a mad and just tried not to make things worse.

4.24 Out of the spi at 3178 when stop was 3164 two hours ago....

Ordinary day, tech troubles etc. Damage not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment