Friday, January 7, 2011

Dreary. Fri Dec 7

The skies are overcast in Sydney with scattered showers delaying the completion of Australia's humiliation in the Ashes.
The market is dreary too, enthusiastically seizing on a 25 point drop in the Dow to knock our market lower by 18 points after 45 minutes. There's some justification because this time, the large resource stocks were hit a percent or two overnight and commodities had a similar knock.
I think the Asx 200 will probably make a higher low intraday so I'm actually mildly bullish from here.













The rare earths stocks are peeling back after their strong runs and I've bought a few Lynas at 193.5. The fleeting low this morning was 187 which is about two thirds of the last leg up. It's probably only a day trade but could provide a bit of fun.













I got out of a small long position in Karoon at 735. I'd been hoping to build it up on a breakout but after 4 or 5 days it hasn't happened and looks less likely.

12.10 The index is below 4700 and flirting with yesterday's intraday lows. I'm banking on it holding...
Out of Lynas at 200.

12.19 Well, the levee broke easily and the Asx 200 is a point or so below yesterday's nadir, down 0.6%. I'll have to wait and see if there's much follow up selling. Mmx is down 4 today at 142.5 but still looking ok. In fact, most of my positions are fine, if slightly disappointing.
Asian markets are flat so far.
And the Ashes misery is finally over. 3-1 to England but it felt much worse than that!

1.25 Early reads in Hong Kong are down about 0.2% and Asian markets generally are down about 0.1 to 0.2% while the Aussie market has slipped 0.7%. Overnight US futures are a fraction weaker too so I'm looking for another afternoon recovery. Not necessarily expecting it though since it's a Friday and the nation might spend the afternoon drinking to forget.

3.47 The market has climbed back from the depths but is still down 19. My stocks haven't gone anywhere though. Sold a few Wsa on the open at 629 and they're still looking the best.

4.12 A little weakness on the match and the Xjo ended down 20 at 4705.
A mediocre day for my positions but the selling looks tired to me and I'm happy to have had a good week overall with a book that was 100% long while the market ground down 40 points over the week despite good leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment