Monday, July 6, 2009

Gloomy Mondays. Mon July 6

Despite the US market having been closed on Friday night and the European markets flat, the Australian market has continued to fall and we're now down 54 points at 12.32 pm. The Hang Seng and the Topix are both down over 1% and US futures are weak so we're not on our own.
I sold out of the last of my Rio early at 4890 (v 5225) for a disappointing trade where I had the chance and valid reasons to cut for a small loss on two separate days but chose to stay in. I also sold out of Ozl Aug 90 calls at 6.5 (v 18.5) as I've realised that my option trading is hurt by an unwillingness to quickly turn over my positions. I did make some of this back on hedging. My general thought is that I'm going to restrict any option trading I do. Ideally, I'd like to have a separate pool of money in order to pursue buy/write strategies but I'll leave that for a later date.
My remaining position is a short in One Steel which is down 9 at 238 as I write.

1.16 Ost is finding some support so bought half back at 239 (v 247).

1.45 Just unwound my hedged position in Brambles. The stock was looking weak but extended so not the sort of position I want to take overnight. I took off half of my stock hedge at 563 and the rest at 556 then sold the July 625 puts at 70 with the stock at 556. This is a premium of only 1 cent over intrinsic value because the puts are deeper in the money and time is running out. Because of the early sale at 563 I was able to claw back most of the lost premium.
My book is the smallest it has been for a long time, there's a small short in Ost and a hedged July put position in Gpt. I'd like to unwind this but I doubt I'll get the opportunity and can only hope for some moves in a stock that has been glued to 50 for 2 weeks.
I'm off on holiday at the end of this week so having very few positions is good.

3.10 Just put on a couple of fresh trades in Ccl and Wow.
The Ccl chart is actually in a range but is reversing after a 2 week upswing that made a lower high. I'm short at 855 looking for a test of 840.
Woolworth's is one of the defensives that's charting well, it's building a base and has some momentum. Trading through 2840 might provide the energy for a move to the top of the range. Long at 2628.
4.22 Distracted by a visit. Bought back a couple of Ccl at 850 (v 855) to cover costs.
Market closed down 45 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment