Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Holding support. Tue Aug 18

So far the market has held above the support formed by the highs around 4350 from early August. An early loss of 36 points has been reduced to only 5 at 12.10 pm although my positions are a little weaker than the overall market.

2.13 pm At the start of trade today my overall capital usage was fairly low so given that I think there's a good chance we hold here, I added a couple more positions.
I bought more Infigen at 133.5 as they quickly shrugged off a weak open.

They are looking to sell their US wind power assets which are in demand and may fetch more than $1 bn, enough to raise Citi's valuation by as much as $2 per share - which seems quite dramatic to me. A couple of other brokers have positive views on the stock while the only dissident has nevertheless upgraded their valuation. As I've said before, I trade off chart signals but a series of upgrades is still useful information.

The other new position is in coal miner Straits resources which pushed through resistance at 240 earlier on good volume hitting a high of 246. I bought as it was running, at 241, although it has now slipped back to 237. It has been making higher lows so I'll stay long with a stop below the recent low at 226.


3.55 Out of yesterday's small amount of Ifn at 138 (v 132.5). Bought quite a bit more at 133.5 this morning so running that.

Overall the index seems to have found support at a higher level than this morning's low and is running again after having slipped back. Reasonably positive for tomorrow.

4.13 I bought some Paperlinx earlier on at 51.5 and sold them into the close at 52.5. I'm still long another tranche at yesterday's average of 55. Srl may have sold down from its highs but it managed to close at 240 which is the highest close this financial year. Stockland group also closed on a recent high at 350 on good volume but I'm full up so I'll have to let that go as I'm not convinced about switching from one of my other positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment