Friday, December 3, 2010

Shrugging it off. Fri Dec 3

Another strong night in Europe and the US has been met with a subdued response today with the market up 29 points after an hour and a quarter. S&P rebalances have meant that Ost will fall out of the top 50 index while Awe will drop out of the Asx 100. They're both still in the Asx 200 and since that's generally the benchmark for funds, it doesn't seem to have affected their performance today. They're the best of my longs so far, with Awe up 4.5 at 173 and Ost up 6 at 258. They've both been a cent or two higher as well. I've sold a small amount of both early at 170.5 and 256 respectively as I was concerned that there could be some sentiment driven sellng based on the down weighting.
Avoca continues to confuse and opened 12 cents higher at 332 but is now back at 326. I sold most of my stock at 332 as it's very indecisive action. Perseus is unloved as the gold stocks are lacklustre today. My purchase at 320 was in anticipation of a breakout and since it's not happening after a couple of days, I'm getting out at 317.

Ipl has been through my stop and I'm out at an average of about 388.

12.02 After waiting for a week or two, Awe is really taking off and I've bought back the stock I sold earlier at 174.5.
Lynas is retracing again and is back at 161. It's a mixed picture for the rare earths though, with Arafura up at 125.5. Sold some out at 127.5 in the first hour.
Back into a few Avo at 328.

12.56 It's a return to form as the market almost went back to unchanged on the day. Up 12 at 4688.
No changes. Awe still firm at 175 and Ost on the highs at  261.

2.25 Up 13 but not looking too flash for the rest of the day with HK up a jot and the mainland markets now down. In recent weeks, the local market has been looking for the grey cloud not the silver lining and what with it being Friday....

3.42 Tea in the cricket from Adelaide and the Aussies making heavy weather of an easy batting pitch. Despite that, the market has managed to hold on to some gains and is 19 points higher.
It's sleepy hollow as far as my positions are concerned.
Boral is in my watchlist but I hardly ever trade it. It has been a star performer in the last couple of days as the US housing market is showing signs of life. The weekly chart is below. The rot has been stopped and I'd be looking to buy pullbacks in the short term.

4.10 Once again, there's been no afternoon follow through for the smaller resource stocks and my positions have drifted against me in general. Worst is Lyc which is down 7.5 to 158 today. Awe and Ost did at least hold on to most of their gains. I'd like to see a day soon where something really takes off.
Index closed up 18. Lots of figures out in the US tonight could account for some of the caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment