Thursday, September 24, 2009

Reluctant to drop. Thu Sep 24

The US market had a fall on the fact type session as confirmation that the fed would hold rates steady at their lows, they would extend the various bond buying programs and that the US economy is recovering were all old news and the market responded by initially rallying then reversing to close down 81 points on the Dow. The overnight report on Fnarena is particularly good this morning. Greg Peel also points out that there is a lot of put cover and the Vix (measure of volatility) is holding up, which indicates that complacency is low and a nasty sell off is unlikely.
The Australian market could have been forgiven for falling 50 points or so after commodites also eased off but at 10.32 am we're only down 18 points after an initial 40 point drop.
I sold out most of my Ifn opportunistically at 146 as it was firm into the opening but tired on the 60 minute chart. I'm trying to buy it back in the low 140's. I've bought some at 143.5.
Lyc is still suspended from trade but there's the suggestion that the China deal may have been approved. I assume that would be positive.

11.57 The market has worked it's way back to a small drop of 8 points. Most of my positions are close to unchanged in line with the general trend. I'm loath to look at new stocks as I'd rather reduce my position size; it's possible we'll get a surprise up day which could create a short term peak.

1.06 I left the office just after the last comment and the rally stalled about then. The market is now down 33 points and I've decided to sell out of Mig. While it hasn't stopped me out, it also hasn't gone anywhere since the brief flurry after I bought 4 days ago.

1.21 Migjudged my exit from Mig. It was strongly bid at 150 but that disappeared quickly and I've stopped out at 149 (v 150).

4.02 No charts in the post today. I've tried to do as little as possible because I'm still looking for a new high. The one thing I did was to sell out of Mig but even that has bounced back and of course, it hadn't broken support. I did actually get a signal to stop out of Lnc but having done well with a speculative exit of a bit more than half of my position yesterday, I've decided to look for it to hold support at around 178-180.
The market bottomed at about 2.30 and is back to a 22 point loss.

4.11 A blip down on the match for a close of down 33 points. I bought most of the Infigen back at 143.5 over the day, having sold at 146.

No comments:

Post a Comment