Monday, October 12, 2009

The shadow. Mon Oct 12

I've been reading a few psychology books lately and have been reminded of the concept of the shadow or the dark side. The idea is that for an individual to reach full maturity, he or she has to come to terms with the parts of the personality which are not acknowledged or accepted.
I suspect that capitalism has been a robust system because its dark side has been obvious with William Blake writing about Dark Satanic Mills as early as 1800. Even if he was not writing about the industrial revolution as some propose there are plenty of other critics of capitalism from Victorian times onwards. Perhaps this awareness of the dangers of capitalism has allowed it to flourish for such a long time and maybe it was the denial of this dark side and the subsequent failure of regulation that caused the system to come closer to failure than at any time since the great depression.
Back to business....it's a mildly weak day again as we digest the big gains last week. The overnight lead was good but the early gain of 36 points has evaporated and at 12.03 pm, the market is down 4 points.
I sold my Gff early at 177 (v 174) as they looked heavy and they've since slid to 172. Cvn and Mre are firm but Mig is down 2 and is now below my cut point of 150. This is only about a one third position as the break never came but I think it's still in a choppy range so I might get a better chance to cut.

1.10 I'm watching Csr and Esg. Csr has given a buy signal but still lacks momentum.
Eastern Star Gas hasn't broken out yet but looks more promising in the short term with a gap to resistance around 100 which could be closed quickly. 3.22 It's been a dull day with the market grinding down. We're close to the lows, down 14 points but I've just bought some Csr at 195. Not many, because I'm concerned it just goes to 200 and stalls.

3.49 I've bought a handful of Western Areas at 499 which is a marginal break of the two most recent highs but just below previous lows at 503.
There's good momentum on the day and scope for a run up to 540 over a couple of days.

4.13 Stopped out of Mig for 147 (v 153.5) and sold a few Mre at 102 (v 100.5) as it's a tentative day for the stock so I'm happy to reduce position size. Wsa closed at 496 which is near the top of the range but below the break so I didn't add to this on the match. I'm now long Csr, Cvn, Mre and Wsa. The Xjo index closed down 13 points on a day when other Asian markets behaved in a similarly lacklustre fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment