Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Start a new game. Wed Apr 6

Gold broke above recent highs last night with a strong 1.5% move. Australian gold stocks have tended to underperform the price of the underlying in recent months notwithstanding a recent rebound. As the broad market looks increasingly weary, I've added a new short in Ipl and a couple more gold longs.
Ipl had a surprising reversal day yesterday. I'm in two minds about this one but I got a reasonable fill at 437 on a higher open and I'm going with short term momentum. Stop could be above yesterday's highs although now that I'm in the black here, I think I'll just use my entry level.













The first gold long is Regis. I bought the open at 226 and stop is around 217. It has made a breakout now and, like the Intrepid chart, it's had a tight correction near the top of the range which may signal bullish action ahead.














The other one is Resolute. Another correction and then pushing on. Long at 129.5 with stop around 120 and now that it has regained the breakdown level, there isn't too much resistance until the old highs.

I think there could be a new game starting along the lines of buy gold and sell everything else. Or else I'm on my own here...
I sold a few Pdn at 392 early on and they've dipped to 385. Sold half the Bsl at 202.5 and a few Ost at 247 as they heartily rejected a new high yesterday.

12.56 The index is mildly weaker and has been for most of the day. My gold stocks haven't moved much after their early gap openings but Newcrest might be a pointer for the sector. It has kept running and looks like a stock that has further to go.

1.43 The force is strong with this one. The index is back in the black, albeit by 1 point.

4.13 The now customary late rally and the Asx 200 closed at 4913, rising by 13 points.
Most of my positions went ok, the shorts squeezed up towards the close. I presume that half the market is short them. Ipl and Osh were the best of the shorts. Ipl closed at 429 and I bought back a few Osh at 719; they finished at 721.

No comments:

Post a Comment