Monday, November 8, 2010

Head space. Mon Nov 8

I work out of an apartment rather than an office and for the last couple of weeks I've had visitors. It's been excellent to have them around but I'm used to a quiet working environment which I have once more.
It's a late first post because I've been watching a replay of Liverpool v Chelsea when I could step away from the screen. I thought Liverpool might upset the champions because despite the team being below their best under a new coach, I'd noticed that previously underperforming squad players had really improved and the stars were trying their best without anything falling for them. They had a little luck and they're obviously a work in progress but they deserved the win. The interesting thing for me was that the message boards were full of venom towards the new Liverpool coach from a section of the fans in preceding weeks and I was slightly shocked. The improvement just below the surface seemed obvious and to push for a new coach after a couple of months goes to show how objective football fans aren't.
The reason I'm mentioning this is that I sometimes wonder why the market can miss these sorts of things with stocks. In technical terms, it might be a slowing in momentum or a tendency to rally late in the day or a dozen other things. I'll sometimes outsmart myself by assuming everyone else has seen what I've seen and that it's already priced in. Usually they haven't, maybe they're too busy or they're not looking at the chart in the same way.
I've managed to outsmart myself in Lynas which has fallen to just above the next support level of 117 before rallying slightly to 121 which is still down 8.5. Arafura new shares are trading just below the 120 issue price as well. I've obviously ballsed this up big time and in retrospect it seems as if I ignored some pretty obvious signs like the sceptical Liverpool fans.
Despite that, I'm feeling upbeat about the market. The rest of my stuff looks fine, Linc is up to 238 and I sold a few out at 234 but still have most. I also sold out a quarter of my Rsg at 146.
The market is down 5 points just before midday. The Xjo chart continues to look excellent, as if it's in the early part of a strong breakout. That doesn't mean that we can't chop back for a day or three but there's seems to be little value in looking for shorts.















I've been through my watchlist and I can't find any new trades yet, most things are in between.

2.40 Linc has been as high as 246 and I let a couple more go at 242. They're back at 240. The market is down 14 points and is having an inside day. Here's a 60 minute chart. The pattern is a surge up then a chop back. With the retracements staying clear of previous highs, the index looks strong.
4.06 Kicking myself as I've traded Lynas like an amateur and once again negated a couple of good trades with a shocker. I do this every now and then and it usually coincides with getting big dreams about how much I might make from a trade. When I don't have much of an opinion I'm much more likely to pull the trigger at the right time.
There's not much point beating myself up about it though. Trading is often like this; it flows easily for quite a while and then I found myself going through a period when I struggle to do the right things. It's been that way since about mid September and I hope the run of bad form is coming to an end.

Ok, the market has just matched out with the Xjo index falling 22 points. It looks like a typical retracement day and is an inside day on the daily chart. The close was 4778 and I expect the last swing high at 4757 to hold so if I'm right then there's not a lot of downside on a broad basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment